Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gestalt Theory

Gestalt theory was introduced to me by Prof. Chris Lowrance last year In design I. He used the illustration of a persons perception of two dots and an arch or even just a longer line, as a face. While this is a good illustration for understanding a small portion (emergence) or a very general understanding of Gestalt theory, there is much more to be said about the Subject. Mr. Lowrance In drawing I assigned us a drawing in which we only drew negative shapes, another in which we only drew corners, and another in which we drew corners and small portions of outlines. All of these now ring in my mind as reification and the Pragnanz law of closure. Other perceptions of visual markings exist but these few examples help me understand the concepts. It also helps me put vocabulary to my own experiences with visual perception of forms. A personal example would be seeing animals or objects in the clouds as they drift by or in textured walls. Sometimes when looking at wall paper with high contrast, optical illusion will push some shapes back and bring some forward confusing positive and negative forms. These are a few of my basic thoughts on the subject.

1 comment:

  1. Good, I am glad that you had Chris for Design 1, it sounds like he did a good job.

    ReplyDelete